Understanding Shutter, Mirror and Total Release Counts
Cameras have 3 Counts:
- Shutter Count. The Total Release Cycles of the ‘Current’ Shutter.
- Mirror Count. The Total Release Cycles of the ‘Current’ Shutter.
- Total Count. The Total Release Cycles of all ‘Current and Past’ Shutter and Mirror releases.
Release Cycles / Total Count
Of the three, Total Count is the often misunderstood for two reasons:
- Many models display ‘Release Cycles’ in their menu. Owners might believe this to be the shutter count and expect the number to change after a shutter replacement.
- Many 3rd party Shutter Count software report ‘Release Cycles’ as the ‘Shutter Count’. Again leading to misunderstandings after a shutter replacement.
Release Cycles - In the Camera Menu
(The Total Release Cycles of all “Current and Past’ Shutter and Mirror releases!)
SPT Software displays the current Shutter, Mirror and Total Counts
(Read directly from the Camera's EEPROM)
* The Total Count are rounded
After replacing the Shutter (or Mirror Box) the Shutter count is changed to ‘0’
Resetting the Shutter (or Mirror) Count
Does NOT and SHOULD NOT change the Total Release Count
The Total Release Count is the camera’s odometer … it is the cameras milage meter.
SPT Canon Software automatically records the Shutter (or Mirror) changes
Including Dates and Release Counts
Before and After Service
All of the camera’s information <including Shutter Change> is automatically recorded by the Camera FAX for your Customer. This gives you and your customer a complete document of the camera - Before and After Service.